Sunday, June 1, 2008

BIG Things Poppin....and little things are still little...

For years I told people around me that I felt like I hadn't accomplished anything in life. I felt like I had been working for so long and I had absolutely NOTHING to show for it....BUT!! Those days are OVER!!! Today day friends, will be a day that goes down in imfamy...TODAY...I brought a HOUSE!!!

Oh yes, you heard right...soon the days of rent and neighbors above, below and on either side of me, and the scent of ethic food coming through the vents will be over. I made the leap that would permanently put me in the world of true adults....adults that own...not rent....OWN property.

Let me say.....I am ecstatic. I feel not only accomplished but I also feel like I had put my money where my mouth is and I moved forward with my life....I said I would move to Charlotte, get a house, get a dog and get a man. #1 on the list...DONE!!!! and within 3wks of moving....how's that for full steam ahead!!! At this rate I will be married by next year...LOL...just kidding...ummm...unless my future husband is reading this and an early fall wedding in the 2009 sounds appealing to you! LOL!!!...I crack myself up!

Some of you are probably thinking...has she lost her mind?!!! The housing market is a mess! and she just moved to the Charlotte??? Well, unless you have been under a rock and have missed the news, Charlotte was just voted #1 in the Best City to relocate to (http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7B52C3B402-D1AA-4F75-B863-2C599E3DD97B%7D ). Also, the housing market is EXCELLENT! Saying it's a buyers market is a severe understatement.

So what have a brought you may ask? 1323 sq ft of pure joy!!! 3bedrooms (one of which will be an open loft), 2.5 baths, a deck, and 2story ceilings in the great room! AHHHHHH!!! LOVELY!!! Can you feel my joy??? Is is radiating through the computer screen? The best part....it's being built as we speak...which mean I have an entire summer to prepare....come end of Aug....IT's ALL MINE!!! :)

This whole home buying thing will be a new challenge for me. I always struggled with numbers and understanding how things like loans and dimensions work. Here is my opportunity to face what I fear most head on. I am doing this ALL BY MYSELF.....that feels really good, but at the same time I'm having a mini-panic attack asking myself, "What the hell are you doing?" I don't know many single, women who have brought their first home by themselves. I know it can be done and I really shouldn't be frightened....but fear of the unknown and new-ness....can be VERY intimidating. Can I handle this? Can I make my mortgage payments? What do you mean there are taxes and homeowners insurance? Will I be able to afford furniture? Does this mean I can't do random eBay bidding anymore? How will my lifestyle change...will I live check to check.....will this ALL be worth it?

I can't wait for others to fulfill my dreams. I can't wait for the "ideal" life that I daydream about to begin that real life I have today.....and you know what...it's a good life....it can only get better from here right? I really am the master of my own destiny....and I am committed to being a more active participant in my life and making my own wants and needs happen....my way. I will not and can not let the little things....that really don't matter bog me down. That's why we call them little things....they are just not that important...they are obstacles....There is a quote that rings true here: Obstacles are the things seen when you lose sight of your dreams....

So wish me luck, send me your home decorating tips, and for those of you who are homeowners, send me you list of "I wish I would have know then, what I know now" as it pertains to new home ownership! I'm all ears!....Look out for the invite to my housewarming....what a party that will be!!!

Get at me....

9 comments:

Genetically Modified Hippie said...

CONGRATULATIONS SIS!!! Afterset at Michelle's house!

Blkphoenix856 said...

Congrats on the new house. That is exciting! And I know a few single women who own homes... so never fear! :0) When I grow up, I want to be just like you and be a home owner too.

Anonymous said...

congratulations. doing it by yourself can be scary, intimidating and panic-triggering. but it can be done .you will do well. furnitures do not have to be bought right away as long as the basics are there. just no more shopping spree at the clothing store for a while.
i do have a dog for you when u are ready. as for the man, he should not be needing a place to stay, otherwise, run sis.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations OC. I'm very proud of you. Now I have another person to visit when I go out to Charlotte to visit my parents!!! Love you girl, but you already knew that didn't you?! :)

Keith

Anonymous said...

Michelle you are doing big things and leaving everyone in the dust. I am so truly proud and happy for you. It is a scary venture buying your first home but you will be a pro after a couple of months. GO GIRL

LOVE,
Janelle

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! That 3rd bedroom is mine!

Your Black Guy said...

Definite congrats on the home purchase, smartest and best thing you'll ever do...I just bought a townhome last November so I can relate....thrift stores are gold mines, let me tell you that now, lol.

Drea Nicole said...

Congratulations on your new house! I too am a single woman who bought a place by herself, the panic will pass :) And no, you will not live check to check ~ you will get a nice tax refund; (u just have to wait for it) I only wish I had known a good cheap handyman.

Keeley said...

Congratulations! And a new home? Wow... only in Charlotte!

You may live check to check for a while, but it's completely worth it. It's easier to have elecronic deduction of your mortgage on the first of the month. Don't be in a hurry to decorate and furnish it all at once. You should live into it and get a feel for what you really want and need. Right now you just need a bed, one sofa and a tv and maybe a table so you can eat.

0% interest for 12 months and Home Depot were our two best friends when we bought a house.

Not to scare you, but I've never received a tax refund since purchasing a home. We've owed every year. We used to get money back... the IRS sucks!