Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Journey of a Thousand Miles begins with a Single Step...

So I have been thinking about starting a blog for a long time. I have a lot to say, I can't turn my brain off, and this is probably the best therapy. So here goes right? I want to be committed to blogging 3-5 times a week for a year. Possibly several blogs a day....we will see. I am open to feedback from the world...help me, help myself :)

"Can You Stand the Rain?" I chose this title because I love this song by New Edition. Every time I hear it I sing it at the top of my lungs. It evokes an emotion in me that is stirring. It's more than a love song....it's a crying out to all who can hear: "WILL YOU SUPPORT ME THROUGH THIS CRAP?????" Sometimes...ok all the time, I feel like that. Looking and/or wanting to be supported instead of always supporting other people through their stuff or feeling utterly alone.

So having said that....some of you may get your feelings hurt in some of my post. I will try to hide the names to protect the innocent and ignorant. But if you see yourself in some of these post....feel free to call me on the Berry and we can discuss....no need to fight over the Internet...agreed?

I don't know where to begin. I have so many thoughts right now. Let me start right here:

I just moved to Charlotte. 12 days ago to be exact. Why you ask? For opportunity of course!

Opportunity #1: I got an AMAZING JOB!!! I was pretty happy at my previous place of work. I was respected, I was on top, I LOVED my students, I survived a lawsuit, I learned a lot....and then the opportunity of a LIFETIME fell into my lap. Could it be? Could I become and Associate Dean only 3years out of grad school? Oh hell yeah!!! I applied and got it! ROCK ON! Sad to leave....but career goal achieved!!

Opportunity #2: As much as I loved my old job, I worked like a plantation slave! I worked way too much and there was way too much to be done for only one administrator. My new gig comes with staff!! AHHH HAAA!! Work is spread around and I can actually get a LIFE. How you gonna live 20miles outside of DC for 3years and can count on two hands how many times you actually went and hung out in DC? CRAZY!!! I'm gonna experience Charlotte....if it kills me! First week here I already went to the Farmer's Market, DMV (4hours of my life I will never get back!!!), Mall, South Carolina,gym, and the park....with a guy :)

Opportunity #3: How do you spell American Dream? H-O-U-S-E!!!! I just moved to the MECCA of home buying!!! An area virtually untouched by the mortgage crisis! I can actually afford to buy property here!!! Imagine that!!! I can afford a 3br 2.5bath for under 135K.....HELLO!!!! I WANT IN!!!! The time is now! Northern VA was CRAZY!!! I couldn't buy an out house with my salary and the prices were off the hook!! I will leave those VA houses to the politicians and lawyers!

Opportunity #4: This is probably the most important....The opportunity to find ME! Since I graduated from Deer Park High School in 1999(shout outs to DPHS in DEER PARK, NY!!! STRONG ISLAND BABY!!!!) I have been running and focused. Ran to University of Delaware, ran to NC State...Ran to MASON....i have immersed myself in my education and career....take those things away and I'm not sure who I am....well at least not completely. I want to stop running....i want to stand still, inhale and exhale, plant roots.....find me....and perhaps find someone else (more on that in another blog)

So this is where I begin and with this blog I attempt to be open....to put out in the world some thoughts and get back some knowledge....or maybe just some chuckles....

Get at me....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Wow Michelle that is deep. I hope you find yourself and a nice house so I can come visit! LOL. Miss you much.

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is exciting--an opportunity to get to know you better at an objective distance, instead of through the filter of our already existing relationship. I'm looking forward to learning more about you, even if I do get my feelings hurt! I pray you find what you're looking for...

Blkphoenix856 said...

Alright, Now! Get 'em! I'm glad you started to write. You'll notice that it helps to keep you on track. It's always good to reflect on what you've written too. Now.. where is my guest blog from you? LOL

Best of luck in the new job, new adventures and your new self-imposed obligation of writing (at minimum) 3 blogs a week. :0)